to make big change, we gather
the best ideas from design & beyond
About the Foundation
We believe design has the power to address the most urgent challenges facing us, from social equity to environmental resilience. Design is an agent of change. And yet, access to design—for communities who need it the most—is often limited.
Making meaningful and lasting change requires designers to blur the boundaries that separate practice and research, academia and industry, the profession and the public. Making change requires designers to embrace vastly different points of view. Above all, making change requires collective impact.
At the intersection of research, practice, and community, the Sasaki Foundation is committed to advancing the value of design, inviting diverse partners to co-create change.
We are looking forward to celebrating our 20th anniversary throughout the year with signature programs and partnerships.
“Contribution is the
— hideo sasaki
- 2012: “Research on Learning Space Design: Present State, Future Directions”
- 2013: ”Developing Research Methods for Analyzing Learning Spaces That Can Inform Institutional Missions of Learning and Engagement”
- 2014: ”Peer engagement as a common resource: Managing interaction patterns in institutions”
- 2015: “Aligning the Strategic Campus Plan With the Institutional Mission in 2030: University Campuses as Complex Adaptive Assemblages”
- 2016: “Connecting the Dots: Campus Form, Student Perceptions, and Academic Performance”
How we operate
The Sasaki Foundation is a 501(c)(3) private foundation, with funding from foundations, corporate entities, and individuals who support its mission. The Sasaki Foundation is a separate legal entity with a mission, goals, and programs that are wholly independent from Sasaki.
The Sasaki Foundation is located on Sasaki’s campus in Watertown, Massachusetts, within a 5,000 square foot flexible research and shared workspace called the Incubator at Sasaki. At the intersection of design and academic, professional, and community partners, the Incubator will be a site of cross-industry collaboration. The Sasaki Foundation serves as the steward and convener for this facility, with public programs and events, facilitated research initiatives, and recruitment of partners and tenants who share an interest in cross-industry collaboration.